Chamber of Commerce PRESIDENT/CEO – Port Arthur, TX
5 Star-accredited Chamber of Commerce seeks driven, detail-oriented, business-minded CEO to become a key part of this coastal community.
Port Arthur is a city in the midst of an economic rebirth following hurricane Harvey, as well as major economic impacts within the community due to billions of dollars in new construction or expansion projects within the petrochemical industry. In this close-knit, diverse community, we have a majority of lower-income residents, exceptional teacher salaries, post-hurricane new construction, strong municipal support, and unlimited potential on a community in recovery. There is still much work to be done.
As this position changes hands from the current tenured CEO, Port Arthur greets the new CEO with unlimited growth and economic potential that would benefit from a highly-dedicated candidate willing to become a real part of the community.
This CEO will have experience working within a Chamber of Commerce type of role, collaborating with a board, and have a strong understanding of community, commerce, and legislation. These traits are vital to the success of the position and this organization.
The Greater Port Arthur Chamber of Commerce President/CEO will be responsible to the Board of Directors for the full range of responsibilities in this position.
- Create and direct the Program of Work needed to reach the Chamber and community goals.
- Maintain Chamber structure and procedure, while seeking to recommend changes and alterations to procedures in order to maximize effectiveness.
- Motivate volunteers to not only join in supporting the activities of the Chamber, but to inspire the growth of the volunteer community.
- Through the finance committee, the CEO will create the Chamber’s budget, prepare monthly financial statements, and audit and maintain according to board of directors’ requirements.
- Work with the board of directors to construct a program that elicits enthusiasm for membership, finds new avenues of growth, and retains the current membership base.
- The CEO will be responsible for the employment of all Chamber personnel, which includes the assignment of duties, and supervision of their activities and training as it supports the Program of Work.
- Ensure that Chamber policy is properly recorded, assist with the interpretation of policy, and assist the Chairman in the preparation of official Chamber positions on policy issues.
- The Chamber headquarter operations will be monitored by the CEO, with all efforts made to present a welcoming and attractive organization to the community.
- Must earn and maintain the respect and confidence of the board by carrying out all preparations and programs as required by policy.
- Collaborating with Chamber members is a central part of the role to build on the value of membership, as well as the support and involvement between the community and the Chamber organization.
- Lead a motivated, skilled, and accountable staff. This requires the representation of moral and professional accountability from their leader.
- With a hand on the pulse of the community the CEO will engage with personal contacts and connections with community leaders to build a stronger networking among members and the people of the city.
Require Education and Experience:
- Must hold a college degree or equivalent experience
- Currently enrolled in or a graduate of the U.S. Chamber Institute
- Minimum 5 years Chamber or Association work, with 3 years in a Chamber leadership role
Human Relations Skills:
- Must possess a high degree of personal and professional integrity
- Passion and optimism that inspires respect and trust
- Accuracy and thorough attention to detail
- Above average organizational skills and self-discipline
- Ability to motivates those around you, treat others with respect, and handle tense situations in a tactful manner
- Committed, confident, and assertive, when needed
- A proven leader, with respect to all, regardless of status or position
Knowledge and Skills:
- Prioritizes well, with advanced planning skills for tight deadlines
- Above-average oral and written communication
- Aptitude for budget and financial planning
- Comprehension of government and legislative process
- Extensive supervisory and management experience
The Greater Port Arthur Chamber of Commerce is well-established at 119 years old. We have a healthy network of more than 600 members supported by four Chamber staff members, as well as municipal and civic leaders.
Please include a video with your application or a recent color photograph. The deadline for receiving applications will be December 14, 2018. Mail applications to:
Greater Port Arthur Chamber of Commerce
ATTENTION BILL MCCOY. CONFIDENTIAL.
501 Procter St. Suite 300
Port Arthur, Texas 77640